Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lu Garigami

Lu closed the shop early for the day because of the recent power outage and snowfall. As he walked home from locking up, he felt cold gust of wind slap him across the face. He felt his nerves creep to the surface of his skin and he gave out a short but violent yelp. Physically, Lu had never felt worse. Mentally, Lu had felt worse, maybe once or twice. As he stumbled down the sidewalk, Lu accidentally brushed shoulders with whom he thought to be the most insufferable person in the world, Yung Li. In the gray/white mist of windy snow, Lu THOUGHT he could slip away without any interaction. Ms. Li, however, had a way of making all Lu's wishes come untrue. She grabbed his arm and threw out at him,
"What, no apology now?"
Lu rolled his eyes and muttered,
"srry."
"Darn white! So, what you gonna do to fight off the snow and the no powa and the cockroaches?"
"I don't know Ms. Li, probably just sleep it all away. Bye now," replied Lu.
Ms. Li, a bit offended at Lu's apathy towards her, offered one more hook:
"You know, i've got a problem Lu. I've got cockroaches all over my place, and I need someone to squish 'em fo me."
"You want me to be your cockroach squisher?" asked Lu.
"Yes. Lu, you owe me fo something. Lu!"
"Sorry I...I have to feed my cat."
As Lu starts to walk away, Ms. Yung Li yells out,
"You don't have a cat!"
"I do now!"
"Cockroach!"

2 comments:

Zoongash Kalanadhabhatla said...

The Noodle Incident
Zoongash stood in solitude on the corner of Main St. slurpping away on the curried noodles from Chan's, trying to warm his body from the cold. Although it was cold, the sun shone brightly in the cloudless sky and it was this, which had prompted Zoongash to leave his stuffy liquor store and get some fresh air. The steaming bowl of ramen was the closest thing to a good curry that Zoongash could find. How he missed the spice of Alia's curry. Zoongash let out a sigh as he thought of the one and only woman he had ever loved. It was not often that Zoongash allowed himself to be so vulnerable by exposing his emotions, but his eyes began to glisten as he pictured her beautiful face. He began to think about how different his life would be had he not lost-

"Bloody chink! Look what you've done," yelled Zoongash as he looked down to see the remainder of his curried noodle splattered all over his shirt.

A Chinese man in a Yankees hat had ran into Zoongash as he rushed around the corner, causing Zoongash to spill his bowl of noodles.

"Excuse me, I am very sorr-," the Chinese man paused in his apology. "What did you call me?"

"You heard me you bloody chink! Watch where you are going chutia," replied Zoongash as he futilely began to try to wipe off some of the curry sauce, although most of it had already seeped into his shirt.

"Go to hell you racist prick!" yelled the man as he stormed off down the street and in his rage he did not realize that he stepped on a woman sitting on the sidewalk.
"You bloody Chinese bugger, come back here and feel the back of my hand!" shouted Zoongash as the man continued on his way down the street, giving Zoongash the finger as he did. Zoongash was about to yell out an insult regarding the man's mother, but was cut short as a fire truck screamed by, sirens blaring. Zoongash looked down at his curry drenched shirt and just shook his head. "Bloody city."

William IV said...

"MY FATHER'S NAME...MY FATHER'S NAME WAS....IT WASSSSSSS–" I say the first name that pops into my head – "LU GARIGAMI!"

"Lu Garigami!" the leader exclaims. "We must find this man, whoever he is, and bring him to justice! The spirits are not to be ignored!"

I laugh to myself, turn around and leave. "Well, that was fun..." As I make my way toward home, an image strikes me – the apartment register in the lobby. It's one of those old-fashioned ones that lists the name of the man or woman who owns the apartment. About halfway up, where it says "Lu Garigami-Apt. 121F."

"So that's where I got that from." I think to myself. "Hmph...Hope nothing bad happens.